Remember when you chose to go to an all boys boarding school and I was like dafuq!? That was so not the plan – in fact, totally anti-plan but you gained not only friends – but brothers for a lifetime. For that I am eternally grateful.
They really do understand you andhave the wisdom to take in all that you are, absorb the good and blow off the rest without a second thought. Buddy, your Owens offer more support than a microsoft 0800 number for truth!
I can just picture Ted saying “You ever going to shave off that ugly bath mat around your pie-hole? Or err… “Are you gonna keep looking like an affliction reject as a public service for what not to wear to thirsty Thursday?” But like dude, duuuude– you’ve both been there for each other through situations most adults haven’t had to deal with, you’ve held each other down when you overindulge in life and technicolor yawn (don’t think I don’t know) But yet – for the most part, you generally call forth the very best in each other.
I’ve never heard your mates trash talk each other which is a sure sign that the same is true for you when you’re not in the room. You all know damn well that the need to diminish others when we feel threatened is the mark of a coward, not a hero. This is not to say that you won’t have disagreements but please never be indifferent or take these guys for granted, good friends truly are rare and get rarer still as you journey through life.
One of the things that used to worry me a lot is ‘Bar fights’ at pubs etc.. (you know, like you see in movies) I never will understand this phenomenon among men. I am relieved to learn that most conflicts (major or minor)) are being handled like gentle-males. Although your “bro-code’ is strong, you seem to somehow all innately know that brutality is the refuge of the dull of mind and steer clear of these characters for the most part, like there is seriously nothing cool about a broken nose.
So no doubt – through Varsity and thereafter, you will make a plethora of new friends. Eclectic and different though they may be : umm…. Wisdom will see you keep those with very conflicting ideas about life, humanity, politics etc. at arms length perhaps? Please? Its just easier. What do they say – Birds of a feather flock together, fools seldom disagree, Show me your friends and I’ll tell you who you are etc.. I can go on for a while but I do believe my point is crystal. It’s just been my misfortune to burn my fingers with those very different to myself.
So like I honestly don’t really need to give you any kind of advise, your friends are ah-maz-ing. You will however (on your journey and prolly in a pub) meet OTHERS! lol Dom, there are some blokes out there who humm my lady-balls to death!
The 20+ ‘Peter Pans’ of the world, a bunch of recalcitrant man-boys. FML, these are.. umm.... well…(How do I say this?) Some men are born dumb and die stupid! - THERE! - You know the little town I live in and how it has a full blown infestation of creatures like this. I marvel at how they dude-brah-high-5 each other for reaching new lows and instead of picking each other up – their entire ‘friendship circle’ is about – well.. joining in! Bullshit (like misery) loves company I guess. It’s really sad and honestly just cowardly. You can tell who a real man is easily enough – he wears his tenderness on the outside but his strength and courage at his core. A coward on the other hand displays his harshness and joking bullshit on the outside and his weakness inside. There is nothing you can do to change people like this (the Navaho’s say that you cant wake a man who is pretending to be asleep) so the best is to not burn your fingers in the first place, they rarely WANT to change.
No one is perfect (I get that) and we all veer of track at times, but have friends who will bring you back from the edge of total douche-baggery.
Party friends! (because we all need some of these.) But again, be selective, there needs to be some fear of consequences no? There are too many who often feel the need for chemical reinforcements, view drinking and womanizing as Olympic sports and get themselves into jail, hurt people on the road, become baby-daddies / procreate-a-nators to nameless women and those who are the proud recipients of oozing, itchy life threatening diseases. Lookit, maybe they’re just not getting enough oxygen up there where their brains live, but slow your roll with aligning yourself with these derelicts. I can right now point to a few low slung heads with sunglasses on an overcast day (like literally at the bar right now) nursing the mother-load of hangovers and trying to remember what they did. Tragic actually. You won’t be missing much (I promise) and the same dumb-ass shit will be there next week (sometimes I think that there are advantages of being blind and deaf.. perhaps mute too) Truly nothing ever changes with these Machiavellian personalities, they stay south of useless and rather than realized that in spite of how hard they run from themselves, everywhere they go –there they’ll be! Addictions and compulsions are nothing more than piraded distraction, masking unpleasant and undeniable truths. Erm- Im NOT saying that you shouldn’t party like a rock star but choose wisely – even Darwin would agree that some humanoids just shouldn’t breath.
On another note, your friends may not be extreme, but they won’t always be perfect or do and say the right things. Respect them anyway. People also have this knack of living up or down to your opinion of them – so think the best of your friends, help them up and the results will be apparent.
I was going to say – try to have a few “intellectual” friends, those that inspire you and force you to ‘level-up’, but I think you have that covered for truth! These are the ones that will gather you (all the pieces that you are at times) and will hand you back to yourself in the right order. Sometimes they will need to reinforce sentiments over time, and sometimes it’s as quick as a glass of beer.
I wish you REAL friends baby – those that will ride with you in a Bentley but will also take the bus with you when times are tough. Friends who will never get in the way, unless you were on your way down. I wish you friendships that are the essence of effortlessness.





No comments:
Post a Comment